Capstone Updates - Summer 2019



Above: a brunch was held for the 16 olive farmers with whom I worked

As mentioned in my last Global Scholars capstone project update, I spent a few weeks this summer hard at work in Catalonia, Spain to continue my goal of supporting the independent olive farmers of the region. While I spent time working in the field, the main focus of my visit was both to collect footage of the area and to conduct various interviews with either the farmers themselves or with others closely linked with the olive oil production process (such as the manager of an olive mill).



 These interviews were recorded, and I intend to post them on the project website (www.myolivegrove.org) as soon as they have been translated from Catalan. The image above of the mayor of the town in which I was based provides an example of how these interviews were held.

My finalized capstone project will likely involve educating the community on the struggles faced by these farmers (hopefully in a way that directly benefits these farmers, as will become clear as the project unfolds). To that end, the material I gathered over this summer will undoubtedly prove useful.


Above: a drone was used to collect aerial footage

Comments

  1. What an incredible experience. Your documenting of this community will help so many communities see unique perspectives of this global issue.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Joe Wong: Understanding Culture through Comedy

Freedom of Speech on a Global Scale