Capstone Updates - January 2020


When it comes to the development of my capstone project for Poly's Global Scholars program, these past few weeks have proved particularly fruitful.

Since my work in Spain over the summer, my core goals for this final project have remained relatively stable - my primary focus remains on educating the Poly community on the struggles faced by independent olive farmers in the region of Catalonia and connecting these struggles to larger concerns relating to worldwide agricultural sustainability. That said, the approach I am taking has, since last summer, evolved significantly.

While my initial idea was to compile and edit the footage I collected over the summer into a documentary that I would screen to the wider Poly community, I am now instead hoping to engage with a younger audience by teaching a class in agricultural sustainability to middle schoolers. In an attempt to make the class more relevant to the experiences of my 7th-grade audience, I will also be taking more of a personal approach to the project with the goal of inspiring a sense of cultural belonging and duty that a discussion of agricultural sustainability alone might not get across.

Finally, since I have already put substantial effort into filming my work in Spain, I still hope to screen a brief documentary to Poly Upper School as a separate project that is, of course, still connected to Global Scholars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joe Wong: Understanding Culture through Comedy

Arn Chorn-Pond Reflection

Freedom of Speech on a Global Scale